At Bloomer Broadband, we want you to have the best internet experience possible. The first step is ensuring you have the right internet speed for your needs. The second is placing your WiFi router and any extenders in the right location within your home. If the WiFi signal can’t reach your devices, even the fastest speed cannot fix it. Read on to learn our top five tips for getting the best WiFi signal possible.
- Use the latest hardware. Not all wireless routers are created equal. Older routers are not equipped to handle today’s internet speeds, and even some new routers can’t deliver high speeds wirelessly. If you’re not sure what wireless router to use, you can always ask us!
- Put your router in the right place. Routers are most effective when they are out in the open and in a central location. Putting your router inside a cabinet or behind a door or wall can weaken the signal. In addition, try placing the router higher rather than lower—on a top shelf or on your second floor.
- Put your router’s antennas in the right position. This may seem counterintuitive, but the signal spreads from the tip of an antenna outward, like a ripple in a pond. If your router has two antennas, experts suggest one antenna be placed vertically and the other horizontally. If you want better horizontal reach, position your antennas upward. For a better signal on an upper level, position the antenna sideways. Experiment with what works best for you!
- Beware of appliances and other “signal eaters.” Household items like microwave ovens, wireless phones, smart home devices, or baby monitors can have adverse effects on your WiFi signal. Brick walls can act as impenetrable barriers, as can water coolers. Investing in a dual-band router can help with this, but placing your router farther from these items is also a good idea.
- Password protect your WiFi signal. Having a WiFi signal with no password protection is an invitation to your neighbors to use your internet service. (And although your neighbors are lovely people, if they use your WiFi signal it will be weaker for you). Put a strong password on your WiFi signal (your router’s user manual should tell you how). Characteristics of a strong password are:
- At least 8 characters – the more, the better.
- A mix of lowercase and uppercase letters.
- A mix of letters and numbers.
- Inclusion of a minimum of one special character.
Bloomer fiber internet is committed to bringing you the best internet connection possible, and we want your WiFi signal to be just as good. That’s why we offer an industry-leading managed WiFi system. For just $9.95 per month, you will receive a premium WiFi router, router installation, and set up to maximize performance. The best part is the ongoing technical support—most of which can be done from our office—saving you time and money. For more details, give us a call at 715-568-4830.
Follow us on Facebook for fun facts, office updates, tech tips, local stories and more!