Celebrating 120 years of serving Bloomer and beyond!
Bloomer Telephone Company is proud to be recognized by NTCA-The Rural Broadband Association as a Certified Gig-Capable Provider for delivering gigabit broadband speeds and enabling technological innovation in our communities.
More about us...
The first telephone in the city of Bloomer was installed by the Bel Telephone Company in Trankle’s general store in 1900; it was used to provide long distance telephone service to Bloomer. The installation of this phone stirred the interest of a couple of Bloomer doctors who installed telephones between their offices, which were about five blocks apart. These first local phones were really a curiosity and soon others in the city were interested in having phones connected to their business places. This led to the formation of the Bloomer Telephone Company in June 1901, by a group of Bloomer businessmen.
The first company president was Henry lebnis, a lawyer. Dr. J. A. Morrison, a dentist, was the company’s first secretary-treasurer. The first telephone and switchboard were purchased from the Eureka Electric Company of Chicago with a 100-line capacity. The Bloomer Telephone Company also established an exchange at New Auburn, Wisconsin, and by 1907, there were 45 business and 114 residential phone service customers in Bloomer. Free service was provided from the Bloomer Exchange to Colfax, Eagle Point, Sand Creek and New Auburn. On February 6, 1956, the Bloomer Exchange was converted to dial operation. In 1966, the entire exchange was rebuilt with all buried cable and was switched to one-, two- and four-party service. In 1980, Bloomer Telephone Company started to provide one-party service to all subscribers.
During 1995, the company introduced dial-up internet service to its customers. High speed internet capabilities were added in 1997.
In 2006, a project to convert from copper to fiber-to-the-home internet technology began and video entertainment capabilities were added. As of the spring of 2017, 99% of the company’s residential and business customers are served by its gigabit fiber optic network technology.
Bloomer Telephone Company continues to extend their fiber network to rural customers and in the spring of 2019, began their expansion to surrounding communities. Bloomer Telephone Company currently employs eight people and is located at 1120 15th avenue, Bloomer, Wisconsin.